The much spoken about minimum wage in South Africa, is set to generate heated debate in the near future.
This comes after the Department of Labour announced that minimum wage for South Africa’s hospitality sector will be revised upward with effect from July 1, 2018.
As defined under current sectoral determinations the changes apply to all workers in the hospitality sector, including those that work in hotels, inns, resorts, restaurants, pubs, coffee shops and catering.
Meanwhile, The Southern Times has established that the new changes will not apply to those involved in the trading and letting of flats, rooms, and houses, or employees who are covered under another sectoral determination.
The department set the minimum rate for employers with 10 or less employees to a monthly wage of R3, 384.71, a weekly rate of R781.14 and an hourly rate of R17.34.
The new wages for employers with more than 10 employees will be a minimum monthly rate of R3, 772.65, a weekly rate of R870.62, and an hourly rate of R19.35.
The current wage increases have been determined by using the April Consumer Price Index reported by Statistics SA on the 23 May 2018 which is 4.5% plus 1.5% as prescribed in the Sectoral Determination. The total increase is 6%, the department explained.
For example, PayScale found that waiters and waitresses can expect to earn an average salary of R35, 851 per year. While those working as a receptionist at a hotel can expect to earn closer to R60, 000 a year.