Rehoboth - World Boxing Organisation (WBO) Africa Middleweight champion Walter Kautondokwa and his promoter, Nestor Tobias believe he will finally get a chance to fight for the WBO Middleweight world title.
Kautondokwa is ranked number two in the division, with only Demetrius Andrade ranked above him, and remains undefeated after 17 fights.
A statement availed to Nampa on Wednesday said Tobias believes such a fight could happen in the first quarter of 2019 and he is planning another “tune up” fight for Kautondokwa to keep him in shape.
“I am happy with the progress he has made so far, it has been a long journey and I am confident that the WBO will declare him the mandatory challenger as soon as Billy Saunders and Andrade step into the ring. Whoever wins will have no choice but to face Kautondokwa,” he was quoted as saying.
Saunders and Andrade will face off on 20 October.
Tobias further said the two boxers “have been avoiding Kautondokwa for a long time now”, but the time has come for them to face him.
“I know Kautondokwa is the future of the middleweight division. His work rate and discipline have been incredibly high and I cannot wait for him to make the most of such an opportunity and become Namibia’s fifth world champion,” Tobias remarked. - NAMPA