Gaborone - The Hampton Jazz Festival, which was supposed to feature international artists, Billy Ocean and Salif Keita last Saturday, was postponed at the last minute, leaving show-goers disappointed.
Those who had already bought tickets were stunned when the organisers announced that due to permit issues, they had to postpone the event at the last minute.
Organisers had seen authorities cut the show, with a long line-up, to just 10 hours. The Gaborone City Council had initially acceded to the organisers holding the show from Saturday 10h00 to Sunday 06h00, but following complaints from residents near the Duma FM grounds venue, the hours were reduced.
The organisers were supposed to hold the show from 10h00 to midnight, but this was further challenged and a new permit issued last week restricted the show to between 14h00 and midnight.
The show had a long line up of local and international artists, and the organisers, despite initially issuing a revised play schedule, later on Thursday announced the show had been postponed.
No less than 16 artists were billed to perform, restricting some to just 30 minutes on the stage.
The artists included local jazz singers, Ndingo Johwa, Shanti Lo, Thabang Garogwe, among others, as well as Nathi and Amanda Black from South Africa, Bhudaza from Lesotho, Mali’s Salif Keita and the headliner, Billy Ocean.
“We apologise that we have been forced to postpone the show to a later date,” the Hamptons said in a statement.
They said the new permit conditions made it almost impossible to squeeze all the 16 artists into the line-up in limited time.
“As a result, we are compelled to postpone the event because the hours permitted for the show cannot accommodate our artist line-up. We have
engaged our attorney to assist us in seeking a permit to allow the show to run from 11h00 to 06h00 the following morning,” the organisers said.
Over the weekend, the Hamptons announced that the show will now take place on April 28, without elaborating if they had secured a permit.