Gaborone - The Botswana Football Association (BFA) electoral board this week controversially barred two hopefuls from contesting for the organisation’s presidency, leaving incumbent Mclean Letshwiti unopposed.
The decision to block former BFA president Tebogo Sebego and Ookeditse Malesu from taking part in the polls has raised eyebrows about the local game’s administration.
Sebego and Malesu, who expressed their shock about the decision when contacted for comment by The Southern Times Sport, said they had already appealed the outcome.
Sebego, a lawyer, said he was informed that he had been vetted out on the basis of alleged professional misconduct, saying “the committee decided to ignore the letter I submitted from the Law Society Botswana which, among others, showed that I was its member in good standing”.
A member of Sebego’s campaign team, Kesego Okie said they would fight with all the resources at their disposal until justice prevailed.
“Botswana football has regressed and our aim as Friends of Football is to restore the beautiful game to where it should be. We will be launching our manifesto in the coming week, to inform the football community what we have in store for them,” she said.
Malesu said he was informed that he was booted out of the race on the basis of a matter pending before the Directorate on Corruption and Economic Crime (DCEC).
“I’m shocked by this because I’m not aware of any case with DCEC and as we speak, I have already contacted their office for further clarification,” he said.
The BFA elections appeal board led by chairperson and former University of Botswana Vice Chancellor, Professor Otlhogile, will review the appeals.
The BFA on Wednesday issued a circular saying the Ordinary General Assembly will take place on August 22 in Francistown, by which time the appeals should have been dispensed with one way or the other.