Africa Unite concert cancelled over Burna Boy

news-image

Colleta Dewa

Johannesburg -  The anti-xenophobia concert, Africans Unite, which was scheduled to take place in South Africa last week was cancelled following public outcry over Nigerian megastar Burna Boy who was being featured on the line-up.

On Wednesday morning, organisers Phambili Media confirmed that after engagement with Burna Boy’s management, a decision to withdraw his name from the line-up was taken.

As a result, both legs of the concert that were scheduled for Hillcrest Quarry, Cape Town, on November 23 and Sun Arena, Pretoria, November 24 were cancelled.

“With the increasing threats of violence from other unfortunate segments of the public and without any government intervention, Phambili Media and Play Network Africa were prompted to take the threats and warnings seriously, as the safety of all artists and attendees could not be guaranteed. We then decided to cancel the concert. The safety of all attendees, artists and crew comes first,” the statement re

Many South Africans started a campaign to boycott the concert after Tshwane Entertainment Collective wrote an open letter to Minister of Arts and Culture, Nathi Mthethwa, expressing disapproval of Burna Boy’s involvement.

The social media reactions were prompted by Burna Boy’s Twitter rant during the xenophobic attacks in September in which he vowed to never set foot in SA and threatened rapper AKA.

“We do, however, stand behind our decision for the initial inclusion of Burna Boy in the Africans Unite Concert line-up,” the statement from organisers said.

“As one of artists at the centre stage of the xenophobic attacks uproar, we saw it fit to engage him to be a part of the Africans Unite campaign that aims to ultimately change the current negative narrative to that of solidarity and unity. It seems we have failed in this regard.

“As organisers of the Africans Unite Concert, we continue to advocate for unity and peace. Moreover, we condemn any form of discrimination, violence or aggressive behaviour towards any person due to their gender or nationality.”

The concert also featured Jidenna, Kwesta, Sho Madjozi, DJ Maphorisa, Busiswa and Ladysmith Black Mambazo.

The organisers of the concert said those who had bought tickets will be fully refunded.

 

LEAVE A COMMENT

Comments

image

Poachers have broken into Botswana’s p Read more...

10 Aug, 2018 at 01:58 PM

image

In a sign that Botswana is likely to cli Read more...

02 Jul, 2018 at 09:26 AM

image

Gaborone - Poachers have broken into Bot Read more...

04 Feb, 2019 at 07:35 AM

image

DAR ES SALAAM - DIRECTIVES on online for Read more...

02 Jul, 2018 at 01:24 PM

image

SADC leaders meeting in Tanzania this we Read more...

19 Aug, 2019 at 01:51 PM

image

Windhoek - The COMESA Regional Customs T Read more...

18 Sep, 2020 at 01:47 PM

image

Johannesburg - Former Miss SA Ntando Kun Read more...

18 Sep, 2020 at 01:38 PM

image

Johannesburg - Man of the moment Kgaogel Read more...

18 Sep, 2020 at 01:37 PM

image

Lusaka -Mozambique, Zambia and Zimbabwe Read more...

18 Sep, 2020 at 12:57 PM

image

Gaborone -Experts have issue a stark war Read more...

18 Sep, 2020 at 12:55 PM

image

Lusaka - Amid myriad criticisms from soc Read more...

14 Dec, 2018 at 06:28 AM

image

FORMER Liberation Movements (FLMs) in So Read more...

16 Sep, 2019 at 12:36 PM

image

Harare - World Kobudo champion Wilfred M Read more...

04 Sep, 2020 at 12:51 PM

image

Lusaka - Lafarge Zambia Plc’s annual c Read more...

04 Sep, 2020 at 01:15 PM

image

Heads of state and ministers who travell Read more...

30 Jul, 2018 at 02:01 PM